Monday, March 29, 2010

In Defense of Cetaceans


(Artist credit: Christian Lassen)


So what's up in this world lately?  Bear with me for a few while I do a rare mini-political rant today.

(1) The Catholic Church and the ongoing saga of child abuse.  Two words come to mind:  Ugh and ugh.  Personally, I'm no believer in organized religion and from my experience, have found most to be hypocritical organizations.  But I digress.   Pope Benedict is supposed to be a man of God and the go-to guy for moral authority :: cough cough ::   But as usual, these high holy men protect one another, hide their secrets, and preach to the world about what not to do.

Yes, this is a religion I am convinced the whole world should be following.... religiously.

Do I sound judgmental and self-righteous?  Ah well ... I guess I just have a thing for wealthy organizations that pretend to be the word of the almighty God, preach to people about gay rights, abortion, marriage, morality, etc etc, and take in millions and billions of dollars while raping children. Yes, I am aware I'm painting a very broad stroke here and not being too kind.  Most Catholics are not like this ... but I'm left to wonder if there's a link between organized religion and personal and sexual oppression/repression.

Religions, to me, are cults.  I believe in spirituality.  I do not believe in religion.

(2)  Health Reform.  Where does it say in our Constitution that the government has a say in our health care choices, let alone putting the IRS in charge to ensure our compliance?  I'll refrain from getting into a lengthy rant about this topic, but to all those who are arguing from a Republican vs Democrat standpoint - these parties are two sides of the same coin.  Hasn't anyone figured that out yet?

Perhaps my viewpoint is overblown .. but I see further tyranny in action and most people just accepting it.  The government is just getting bigger and bigger and more and more intrusive.  Will the day ever arrive when people will finally wake up and say "Enough!"

"When the government fears the people, there is liberty.  When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

'Nuf said.

Want to be an armchair activist and proud of it?  If you are someone who cares about the fate of our planet's cetaceans (and I assume you are or you wouldn't be reading my blog :: grin :: ) go to this page and follow the suggestions on making your voice heard to the IWC in defense of the whales, dolphins, etal.  Email Action for Full IWC Ban on Whaling

Don't believe our ocean's inhabitants are endangered?  These 13 most endangered creatures start off the list convincingly:  Endangered Sea Creatures

More on the captivity debate:




Some people argue that those who are speaking up against the captivity of whales, dolphins, etc. are hypocrites because not as much attention is given to say, cows, pigs, horses, etc.

If you wonder why there's so much attention given to the rights of cetaceans, I recommend this book by Thomas I. White: In Defense of Dolphins, The New Moral Frontier

I'm sick of certain countries like Japan and Denmark defending the killing of whales and/or dolphins by way of claiming it's their tradition or custom. 

Denmark's killing of dolphins doesn't get as much press attention as say the whale culling or dolphin slaughter in Japan or the harp seal killings in Canada.  But it's definitely worthy of our attention and attention absolutely must be paid.

Please see this article.  Please also be forewarned that it includes videos that are very graphic and quite upsetting:  Denmark's Cruel Slaughter of Dolphins

Canada has decided to give the green light for another season of seal murdering.  They have set an approved quota of 388,200 harp, grey, and hooded seals to meet their demise via the evil and cowardly method of clubbing.  Want to help give these seals a voice and let Canada know how you feel?  Please go here:  Seriously, Canada?


I do not believe there should be a compromise in the murdering of sentient beings.  But maybe that's just me.


“Earth does not belong to man, Man belongs to the Earth.  This we know.  All things are connected like the blood which unites one family.  Whatever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.  Man did not weave the web of life, he is merely a strand in it.  Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself.” ~ Chief Seattle ~


No comments:

Post a Comment