Sunday, January 22, 2012

First They Came


(Artist credit:  BunnyBubble @ Deviant Art)

In yesterday's post I shared a link to an article that included a poll about the use of dolphins in the military.  When I first read that article a few days ago, the poll for and against the use of dolphins in this manner was pretty much split down the middle.

Now that number has risen dramatically to over 70% on the side of NOT using dolphins in this way.  Quite a turn around!

If you haven't seen that article yet or voted, here it is:  Dolphins Used to Detect Underwater Mines

In other news, Sea Shepherd is setting up a chapter of it's organization in Hervey Bay, Australia this June.  There appears to be a split in that community over whether or not to support the SSCS.

Many who have vocalized opposition have stated they disagree with SSCS's "violent" methods at sea against the Japan whalers. 


Personally, I'm more inclined to support an organization like Sea Shepherd vs, for example, Greenpeace. Sea Shepherd, despite their controversial tactics, get results.  Greenpeace just appears, to me anyway, to blow a lot of hot air, spend a lot of donated money on campaigns and protests, but not much in the way of real hands on action.  That's just my impression anyway and I could be wrong.  However, I hear more about Sea Shepherds actual successful results in reducing the whale kill quota versus the publicity and media loving Greenpeace.  To be fair, Greenpeace does raise awareness.  But visible action just seems to be more apparent from Sea Shepherd.  

Japan has made it clear they dislike the SSCS.  Why?  Because the Sea Shepherds actually impede their progress and make the whalers' jobs much harder to kill off the whales.  

That is enough for me to be a Sea Shepherd supporter.

They've also been instrumental in the Faroe pilot whale slaughter, Canada's harp seal culls, and Taiji's dolphin slaughtering.  Ric O' Barry's organization Save Japan Dolphins is another shining example of activism in action by making their presence heavily felt not just in Japan on the dolphin slaughter, but around the world as well.

When I think of Sea Shepherd, I think of whales and harp seals.  When I think of Save Japan Dolphins, I think of dolphins.  Both are filled with passionate people who are out there doing something about these inhumane killings.

You know that famous quote by Martin Niem'Her?
First they came for the Jews and I did not speak out because I was not a Jew. Then they came for the Communists and I did not speak out because I was not a Communist. Then they came for the trade unionists and I did not speak out because I was not a trade unionist. Then they came for me and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Let's alter that a little.

First they came for the whales, and I did not speak out because I was not a whale.  Then they came for the seals, and I did not speak out because I was not a seal.  Then they came for the dolphins, and I did not speak out because I was not a dolphin.  Then they came for everything else left in the sea, leading to a slow death for the entire world, and I wondered why there was nothing and no one left to speak up and do something about it. 



No comments:

Post a Comment